More Info on Personal Fitness Training ProgramsBelow is a list of some of the different types of personal fitness training certification programs offered by ACSM and NASM.
- Professional – A certification for those individuals engaged in professional fitness services or paraprofessionals who supervise or for those for whom fitness services is a key component of their occupation.
- Personal Trainer – A certification for individuals who provide personal fitness training services to individuals who are healthy and/or consistently work out.
- Hospitality – A certification for individuals who work in the fitness area of hotels, resorts or other leisure-oriented businesses.
- Exercise Science – A certification for individuals who are seeking careers in the field of physical education, public health, exercise science, sports medicine, or other related fields.
- Medical Exercise Specialist – A certification for individuals who provide medical fitness services to patients or clients with health problems or diseases.
- Professional Fitness Specialist – A certification for individuals who plan, administer, and monitor fitness programs in various settings. Create a list of the different types of personal fitness training certification programs offered by NASM at nasm.org
NASM is different from other approaches. The NASM CPT is based on an evidence-based model that prepares students for real life. Students will learn complex scientific principles but also train in various areas including flexibility, cardiorespiratory, core, balance, power, and strength through NASM’s proprietary Optimum Performance Training™ (OPT™) model.
Corrective Exercise Specialization (CES)
NASM CES is a specialization that teaches you how to rehabilitate your patient’s muscles. The four areas of this study are Inhibit, Activate, Lengthen, and Integrate. The “inhibit” area focuses on the application of passive stretching techniques to reduce muscular dysfunction. It has been proven to be an effective tool for correcting common movement issues.
Performance Enhancement Specialization (PES)
NASM-PES is a professional certification for athletes. It enhances strength, speed, and toughness, and can be of assistance to players of all sports. NASM-PES uses approaches that are common in professional sports and exercise techniques that will help maximize an athlete’s performance and minimize injury.
How to Become a Personal Fitness TrainerBelow are the steps on how to become a personal fitness trainer.
- Obtain a high school diploma or GED and then apply to a CAAHEP accredited personal fitness trainer program. You may also apply to ASCM or NASM certification courses.
- Complete your education and training which must be performed under a licensed personal fitness trainer.
- Pay a fee for certification and take a certification exam.